Chip Seal Paving Options in West Texas and East New Mexico
Because we are dedicated to catering to the unique needs of our customers in and around Lubbock, TX, Daley’s Superior Asphalt Manufacturing, Inc. offers the more cost-effective chip seal paving option. Sometimes referred to as “tar and chip,” this process involves the combining of hot liquid asphalt cement with small stones (aggregates or chips) that have been crushed to a specific size.
The Benefits of Chip Sealing
Chip sealing has remained a go-to option for transportation departments and road crews for more than a century. Some of its beneficial characteristics include the following:
- Natural Beauty: Chip sealing offers a more-aesthetic, rustic appearance when compared to the more-generic look of conventional asphalt paving.
- Cost Effective: The savings of chip sealing is impressive—according to DOT data, a chip seal is about one-fourth to one-fifth the cost of a conventional asphalt overlay, which allows DOT agencies to maintain roads at a significantly lower cost. This means we can pass the savings onto our customers.
- Low Maintenance: Seal-coating chip seal is not required, yet asphalt requires seal-coating every 2 to 3 years. Also, in hot weather, chip seal allows for the re-seal of cracks by their flowing back together.
- Enhanced Traction: The more-textured surface of chip seal provides enhanced skid resistance. This is especially important on driveways with steeper inclines or roads with tight curves.
- Cooler Temperature: Because chip seal does not absorb heat in the same way that blacktop does, it tends to be cooler to the touch.
- Convenience: Chip seal translates into virtually no downtime! No need to wait 24-48 hours to drive on the new surface since this material hardens quickly.
The Installation Process
The chip seal installation process begins with the removal of debris. Then, we patch up all holes and spray the prepared space with hot liquid asphalt while making sure to maintain the asphalt’s temperature at no more than 185°F. After that, a chip spreader will apply crushed rock that is set into the liquid asphalt with a heavy roller. Lastly, all loose rock will be swept away.
Daley’s Superior Asphalt Manufacturing, Inc. provides premier chip sealing services for residential, rural, and commercial use. Contact us today at our Lubbock location at 806-407-7297 or our Midland location at 432-201-1952 to discuss your project needs. Please feel free to view our customer testimonials and previous projects to learn more about our dedication to customer satisfaction.